Tuesday, March 15, 2011

blessed

These are my parents - and they're pretty awesome.
I know I've talked about them before, but when there's something I love I'm prone to write about it frequently.
I had a much needed conversation with my mom today - I've been carrying thoughts and feelings for a long time that I probably should have talked about with her a while ago.  But honestly, it's sometimes scary bringing things up with her because of how much time we spend together; often things get taken wrong or mis-interpreted.  Today was a different day however.  I really tried to be mindful of the words I chose when we were talking and to keep "I" statements in the fore front of my thoughts, rather than "You" statements that often come up accusatory.

My dad is really impressing me lately.  He made it his New Years resolution to improve his relationship with my eldest sister.  And he's been doing his best to do his part.  And as a result of her meeting yesterday he & my mom have volunteered to step up should anything change with my sister & my niece.  This would never have happened in the past.  But I'm proud of my dad for the ways that he is trying to step up and be there as best he knows how.
All in all a good conversation that will hopefully bring good results as well.  And warm feelings about my dad. 
Through it all, good or bad, they're pretty stellar parents.  I'm thankful
<3

2 comments: