Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Mother

I know I've shared before how often my mother frustrates me - or how we get on each other's nerves (due to working with one another every day...).  But this past weekend I went to my grandmother's cabin with her and I had a revelation.  I'm not always going to have my mom around, I'm not always going to get to hug her whenever I want, I'm not always going to be able to travel with my mom.  She's one of my best friends, one of the few people in the world I can be completely honest with, and one of the few people I know will constantly support me in whatever path I choose.  How many people can say that?

It was good to be at my Gran's cabin for the weekend & be with my Aunt.  It was the first time I had been back since the day Gran passed away.  Honestly, it was nice & actually comforting to be there, smelling the musty beach air and seeing things still in their proper places.  I only had to move one greeting card that was blocking a photo of my Poppy, but other than that all was well.  I'd missed being there - and hadn't quite realized how much til I got there.  And while many may not believe it - Gran knew I was there too.  While reading on the couch Saturday morning, both Mom & I heard a single, loud thump on glass of the doll case situated near by.  Right away - we looked at each other & smiled, Gran knew I was there.  That is one of my first memories of Gran....a shared love of dolls, and up until like my 21st birthday she always got me a doll of some sort for my birthday.   The only hard moment came when it was time to leave...I ran upstairs to make sure I hadn't left anything (a game Gran used to play with us...to make sure we didn't leave our belongings), and in her room I found her favorite perfume, Oscar by Oscar De La Renta.  Definitely an old lady perfume, but the smell of it brought me to tears & reminded me how much I missed her.  
Though not perfect - she was the woman who raised the woman that became my mother.  A legacy of strong, independent, sometimes overly stubborn women.  Part of those traits seem to be linked to our Norwegian heritage, and part of them are the traditions passed down thru many generations of the strong women in our family.   Honestly I think with each passing generation of mothers & daughters in our family, the bond & friendship grows stronger.  And I hope I can continue that legacy & trajectory.

So despite my common frustrations with my mom I can't say I would trade her for anything.  I wouldn't take any mother over my own.  And I think I can safely say she wouldn't trade me either! Phew! 
Give your mom, or mother-figure, a hug, call, or text today.  They deserve it.
<3  

No comments:

Post a Comment