Friday, June 10, 2011

Duty over Desire

Have you ever been in the place where you have a list of things to do or an even to go to that you just simply do not want to do or be at?  Ever "have" to be around people that you normally would not share your life with in any way?  If not...let me just tell you, it is incredibly challenging, particularly for me.  
I like to think that I stand up for myself, have high standards when it comes to the people I share my life with, and don't participate in nonsense drama that simply sucks the joy right out of life.  However -- there are times when that little concept of "duty over desire" pops up.  Calling someone back even though I can't stand talking with them.  Going to an event filled with people I know do not like me because it is for the benefit of my husband/family.  And even sharing my husband with people I know do not want the absolute best for him/our family.  This is difficult for me to swallow and participate & be present in these situations.    Despite the fact that in the end doing these things, going to those events, and giving of our lives is beneficial and often the "right" thing to do, it still is very difficult for me.  Obviously an area in my life/heart to be examined and to grow.  But it's so hard - at least for me - to battle against that voice that says "that's not fair...why aren't they held to the same standard...they never have to do/be responsible."  

While driving the other day I heard an interesting thought...that when we are deeply rooted in the forgiveness & love of Christ, and devoted to the constant growth the Lord wants for us we have no reason to look to the side of us and compare our situation with the one next to us.  We are only focused on the relationship that goes up & down - between us and our Father in Heaven.  Praying for continued growth in that area of my life.  That the "duty over desire" thought process would morph in to more of a "duty is my desire and my desire is to share and express His love/compassion."  A constant battle, and we all know how growing pains are...
<3

No comments:

Post a Comment