Thursday, April 7, 2011

A Gentle Tug

I have tried to write a post 2 different times now...so hopefully this one can make the cut! Sometimes I frustrate myself -- I start writing about something, something that is going on in my life or that I'm thinking, but for some reason I give up on it.  Most of the time for silly reasons, and some of the time because I'm afraid it isn't impactful enough.  And yes, I know how silly that sounds....

That aside - I've really been thinking lately that I need to & should make a better effort to reach out & connect with Isaac's family.  It's definitely been an experience for me coming in to a new family.  More challenging than I ever thought it would be.  But then again, I probably had an overly idealistic picture of how everything would be right from the get go.  There are so many layers to weed thru when you're marrying in to a new family; family traditions, the language that family speaks (verbally & non-verbally), the expectations, etc.  And to be 100% honest, there feels to me to be added pressures when you combine the "normal" getting to know you factors with 2 very different culture pieces too.  But whatever fear I have shouldn't stop me, that shouldn't intimidate me, that fear shouldn't impact me reaching out & being available.  I married Isaac...and in a way, I married his family too.  They are now my family - they are an extension of the family Isaac & I are creating.  
It seems that every time I try to dig in my heels over something silly around our families God tugs at my heart with a portion of the vows I shared with Isaac...
"Where you go, I will go.
Your people will be my people.
And your God, my God."
 Ok God...I'm listening, finally. Help me to be more understanding, patient, kind, thoughtful & available to Isaac's family.  They played a large part in helping to create the man that I love & treasure.  Help me to treasure them as deeply, while creating/maintaining a healthy balance of expectations & respect.
How did you adapt to your new in-laws & family?
 <3

I'm thankful for the incredible amount of patience Isaac has for me.
I'm not the easiest to deal with all the time - but he is a champ!

2 comments:

  1. super interesting topic...hmm...mark and i dated a long time before we got married so i had a chance to get to know his fam pretty well...but now, years later, is when i'm noticing that i am getting frustrated...kind of weird!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah it's definitely hard - my inlaws & majority of Isaac's family either live in Hawaii or in other parts of the country. so we definitely haven't had the amount of time spent with them than with my family. hope your frustrations work themselves out too!!!

    ReplyDelete