Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Music Love

I had my niece MacKenzie over last night for a little bit.  She likes to come over every other Monday just to hang out.  She's in 7th grade, so any time out of her house is probably the closest thing to heaven or freedom.  So I like to give her the outlet...to come over, try cooking (don't laugh too hard at the notion of me "teaching" her how to cook....i can still hear you!), to visit & talk about life.  And last night the conversation ranged from her grades, to friends, to her tearing up about missing out on doing track this year because she knows she's missed out on other things in the past due to her shyness - but she doesn't want to impose or make things difficult at home.  
She's probably one of the most self aware 12year olds out there and I'm pretty dang proud of the girl.
However...this kid has no knowledge what so ever when it comes to music!  I nearly fell out of my chair when she said she had never heard of Frank Sinatra! *GASP!* Pardon?! Never heard of Ol' Blue Eyes?!  I don't even want to think what my response will be if she's never heard The Beatles.... *side note, saw the Classical Mystery Tour   when they played with the Oregon Symphony in Salem....let's just say it was AMAZING! Beatles tunes directly played/supported with a symphony orchestra....perfection.  Found a NEW favorite Beatles song...Goodnight. Pretty much perfect.  Ok, I've sidetracked....
And thus I have decided that Isaac & I must introduce her to some of our favorite bands, singers, etc.  All types of music, genres, artists, etc.  I promptly took her to our *almost finished* office and started rummaging through our CDs & iTunes pulling up every song I could think of to expose her to something new.

So here's where I need your help!  What bands or artists are you just loving right now that you think she should know about? New, old, classic....give me anything for the girl!
<3
Today I am thankful for the way Isaac & I love music, & 
that we are excited to share that love with our children!

No comments:

Post a Comment