Tuesday, April 6, 2010

One of My Life Goals

I know that God really brought Isaac and I together for a reason.  There are so many things about our lives that coincide before we ever got together, that it is somewhat comical how good God is.  And of course there are little things that we've discovered that we think are fun to connect to...one being that one of the last heirs to the Hawaiian throne (Princess Ka'iulani) was half Hawaiian & half Scottish (my heritage).  And when we were on our honeymoon - the church designated as being the "first" church in Hawaii was a Lutheran church.  Now we realize that these little ties are silly - and probably insignificant.  But they're fun for us.

But in marrying Isaac and having a real opportunity to experience and learn about Hawaiian culture, and Polynesian culture as well, I have found a deep rooted appreciation and growing love.  There is something about the warmth of the culture, the honor/respect for Hawaiia's history/ali'i, and the overwhelming kindness expressed.  There seems to be an insatiable interest in the history -- I finally finished Hawaii's Story by Hawaii's Queen by Queen Lili'uokalani - a fascinating autobiography of her life, and the complexities of Hawaii's history, annexation, and her experience as the last reigning monarch of the Islands of Hawaii.

I feel like I want to learn and take in so much more about Hawaii....so I am on the hunt for some more materials.  The history nut in me is going crazy. 

Ok - so one of my life goals is to go to the Merrie Monarch Festival on the Big Island.  I love Hula...it is so beautiful, such a beautiful way of story telling & expression.  I just love it...  Now... to find a way to make getting there not an issue with my school teacher husband.  So cross your fingers we can figure out a way to make it work!! Otherwise I may even go with out him! Any one want to be my back up dates?!


All in all...I'm loving the chance to be a part of a new culture, even if in a removed sense.  It is such a blessing, and I can not wait for our future kids to experience it all as well!
<3

No comments:

Post a Comment