Tuesday, October 11, 2011

My Husband the Coach

This season has been challenging for my husband, the other coaches, and the football team.  To say that this season has been less than what was expected would be a gross understatement.  In fact, so far it's been downright heart breaking.  Truth be told this past week I almost cried at the football game....yes, you heard me right, I almost cried.  Oh, and I may have had to genuinely control my temper & tongue from saying something to a parent.  Not a proud moment -- but I was proud of my self control.

With the disappointing season thus far we've been trying to find lessons to learn and find positive outcomes from each game to focus on.  It's sometimes easier to just surrender and give in to the negativity.  But not if you're my husband....nope.  He always allows himself Friday night to be disappointed & angry.  But come Saturday morning brings with it a new opportunity to solve a new puzzle.  I'm learning so much about Isaac and his philosophies about coaching football.  
I sincerely can't wait to see Isaac be a head coach some day.  Those kids are going to be incredibly lucky -- not that I'm biased or anything.  My reasoning?  Isaac isn't simply focused on winning football games, don't get me wrong or anything the man does want to win -- but he isn't willing to sacrifice building and encouraging boys in to becoming young men.  That's probably the best part about Isaac as the football coach.  He sincerely wants to have great football players but he also wants to help kids figure out how to be the best young adults possible, to help them make solid choices, and how to be responsible in all areas of their lives.

It's going to be pretty awesome to see him in that capacity when the time comes.  For now...we're being grateful for the place we're in.  The lessons are plentiful and the joys are many.  Sure there are sacrifices -- but those sacrifices help bring more gratitude for the blessings.
<3

No comments:

Post a Comment