Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Tough Transition

This time of year is always hard for me.  I know I've mentioned it a few times but with fall in full swing, football has literally taken over my house and my marriage to a degree.
I always know to expect the flood of events, the flood of football related commitments; but there is one aspect of this season that seems to take me by surprise.  The amount of alone time is always a little hard to digest at the beginning of the season.


Example...Saturday morning, 1st Saturday post game...I was home alone cleaning, preparing for some of the football coaches to come over to *gasp* watch a football game.  Saturday evening was spent with wonderful friends & new friends.  Sunday took hubby back to school at about 1pm for school prep & football meeting, not returning until about 830pm.  And then despite the holiday on Monday, it was back to school at about 11:30am for football work, football meetings, football practice, more prep, football team dinner and then home about 9pm.  Needless to say I essentially spent the weekend alone.  Now normally I don't let this get me down...but it's always the first one or two weekends that kill me.  Now add to that scenario my three best friends are out of town, my parents are in Arkansas, and my sister & her family are out of town.  It felt like I was literally, not figuratively, alone with no one to call.  Insert pathetic, couch bum day on Monday.  Yup -- I was that girl.  The girl with no life, no friends, etc.  It was hard to ignore the lies that Satan was trying to sell me that day -- hell, it was impossible not to hear, and buy in to.  Boy oh boy was it hard...


All this to say that although I would absolutely never ask Isaac to do anything than what he is doing right now, it's still hard to transition from our summer life back in to school/football zone.  Because it's hard not to feel like I'm supposed to be a specific type of wife, or do specific tasks because I'm a football wife.  


So here's to another season.  Another year.  And hopefully this time of transition will pass quickly and I can move in to the joyful, fun part of this season in our lives.  
How do you handle times of transition like this? Regardless of how short the times of transition are.
<3

1 comment:

  1. All of us football girlfriends/wives are in the same boat and I'm not sure that the change is any easier for a single one of us. It seems to happen so quickly and it's definitely not a subtle change by any means at all. Sara and I have actually been discussing the idea of going on a cruise, a vacation, SOME type of getaway when the season is over. Just for all of the hard work and patience we put in to supporting our other halves. We hope you're on board and suggest any ideas you may have. I think it would be good for us all to get together and bond especially since we are all on the same page for the next few months.

    ReplyDelete