Thursday, February 10, 2011

Gran's Service

Yesterday was my Gran's service - and without a doubt one of the hardest days I've ever had.  It made me realize how I may have taken for granted how special she was and the connection that we shared.  She was the true picture of a matriarch - the leader of our family, who brought every one together.  She was the connecting piece between us all.  My cousin Erick said it best - even though there were many of us grandkids, no matter what - when you were with her, you felt like you were the most special person in the world.
She acquiesced to me every time I came to visit and joined me to get a bowl of potato soup at the local Irish pub.  She let me veg out on her couch during my visits, never once as much implying that I should be doing something else, something more productive.  Because to her, the cabin was a sanctuary....it was "just the beach."
My aunt had brought Gran's "special" perfume from the cabin...and when I smelled it in the morning, I started to cry. Oscar de la Renta perfume "OSCAR" will always remind me of her.  Kind of an old lady type perfume - but smelled like soft powder.  Goodness she was a special woman; fiercely independent, tender, and stood her ground.  The impact she's had on our family is significant. But we're all taking solace in the fact that she's been reunited with our Poppy, Auntie Lynn, and my cousin Brandon (aka Bubba).

Here are some photos from yesterday...
Breakfast at Ma's Place -- started by my great-grandma in the 40's Puyallup, WA
 Gran's grave with Poppy -- a hold place for her body, but her spirit lives in each of us
 Picture boards with photos of Gran - her mumus as the background

Through it all God has been good and brought a closeness in our family back.  It's been a good reminder for all not to take for granted the bond that we share and the love that flows between us.  Thank you Lord for the blessing of having Gran as my grandma.
<3 Anna
Gran's "only girl"

No comments:

Post a Comment