Friday, July 29, 2011

Unofficial - Official Start

It is 7:25pm here on Friday night - and shock of the year, I'm comfortably seated on my couch enjoying a little "Guiliana & Bill" on the Style network.  This may or may not seem out of the ordinary or special by any means.  But what it does mean or signal is that the unofficial-official start of football season has come.
I am moving in to football wife time -- and if none of you have had a coach in your family, let me just give you a quick run down of what the late summer, fall, and if luck is good to my husband's team, early winter looks like exactly.  
Early summer brings with it -- camp, lineman camp, kids camp, and then doubles start.  Doubles, for those who don't know, essentially means my husband is at the school & on the field for 2 3-hour sections for practice.  There's a scrimmage sprinkled in there somewhere, but I can't exactly remember where.
Then the there's the Fall which in addition to football, husband also has school.  But that's his "real" job so I can't really count that.  Anyway....Monday/Tuesday he's home about 5:30pm.  Wednesday is lineman dinner - home about 8:30/9, but this is ok, because I don't have to worry about cooking for the man.  Thursdays he's at either the JV or Freshman game.  Which of course brings us to Friday night games.  Post game, win or lose, we typically get food with the coaching staff and some parents join from time to time.  One might think that the weekend brings a much appreciated break....however, that is not the case.  Saturday mornings are film exchange with next week's opponent, then a coaches meeting where they breakdown the last night's game film & then Isaac does school work.  Saturday nights are our date night thankfully.  But come Sunday afternoon he is back at it -- early to school after church to work on school stuff, then it's another coaches meeting at 5 -- home about 8:30pm.
Reading all that might be a little exhausting -- so if you read it all, I'm impressed.  It's a little exhausting to be honest, and it's hard to share the man from time to time.  But then I see him after the games, either home or away, and he is so committed to being a role model to each of his players.  He strives in every way to be the best example, the best man, the best coach to every one of them.  I know how much he loves what he does and respects the responsibilities that come with his position.  It's a blessing to have such a wonderful man as my husband.  


So even though I will likely be spending a lot of quiet evenings at home, on my very comfortable couch, I try not to bemoan or complain about my situation.  Because, all in all -- I have a husband that loves what he does, is one of the best coaches I have ever known, and loves the kids he works with more than anything; and most importantly, he comes home every night, kisses me, & thanks me for being a coach's wife.  That's a part of my identity now - coach's wife.  And with that comes certain sacrifices, as well as certain, some times small, benefits.
Back to my quiet night, on my comfortable couch, trying to figure out what to have for dinner here at 8 o'clock at night.  Life could be worse....so I'll be thankful for the small things.
<3

No comments:

Post a Comment