Thursday, July 28, 2011

Random Acts of Kindness

This morning I was able to get out of the house early enough to swing by a Starbucks drive-thru on my way to work.  So I pull in line, order my drink & then wait my turn until I get to the window.  I go to hand my gift card to the gal and she just smiles and tells me that the lady in front of me in the line had already paid for my drink!  Wow is all I could muster! How nice of her!  I've done that in the past for people behind me in line & always left feeling pretty good.  But this was the first time someone had done that for me.  Pretty cool to be on the other side and know what it feels like.  It's a great way to start the day - and has just made me look for a way to pay it forward for someone else today.

A friend of mine also shared a quick story on her Facebook this morning.  Her dad owns a little hot dog cart here in town & she was working earlier when a gentleman came up & ordered 2 hot dogs.  But he didn't want her to make them up right then.  He paid & told her to give those 2 hot dogs to someone who needed/wanted them.  So she was able to give one of those hot dogs to a homeless gentleman she sees every day.  And while sharing that small bit with him, she was able to also share about God and have a good conversation with him.

Perhaps the power behind these small, random acts of kindness is that it's a moment in time, in this big crazy world to feel like someone cares and/or notices you.  It's small for sure, but has the power to move mountains, break down walls, or change the entire direction of someone's day.  Have you done a random act of kindness?  What was it?  What prompted you to make that decision?
<3

3 comments:

  1. Random acts feel good, regardless of which side you're on. I love doing things for people that are totally unexpected. Feels so much better than the folks who can take for granted that you will do something for them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an incredible story! A few months ago my husband and I went to a Chinese restaurant to pick-up an order we had placed for takeout. There was a gentleman in front of me who was struggling to pay for his dinner. While he went out to see if he could find more money, I paid for the meal and left...I'll never know if he came back or not, but I'd like to think he was able to enjoy a warm meal that night. It was such an amazing feeling! :)

    ReplyDelete