Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Advent

Being that it's December 1st, everyone is talking Advent.  Advent calendars to be precise.


I don't really remember doing advent calendars growing up -- what I do distinctly remember, and continue to practice today, is the Advent Wreath.


Growing up Lutheran this was a big part of our kick off to the Christmas season, and my family still participates  in this tradition each year with fondness.  Not too many families I know around here do this any more.  
So here's a little info about the Advent Wreath:  
Starts the 4th Sunday before Christmas
Started by German Lutherans in the 1800's
Traditionally has 3 purple & 1 pink candle -- and some (us included) incorporate a 5th white candle
Each candle represents a different element of the Christmas story:
week 1 - the prophecy candle (hope), week 2 - the bethlehem candle (preparation), week 3 - the shepherd's candle (joy), week 4 - the angel's candle (love), and Christmas - Christ Candle

It's a treasured time in our family to come together for dinner each Sunday, take the time to stop and light the advent wreath & read thru a bit of scripture in order to keep grounded on the real reason for this time of year.  The birth of a savior!  
We lit our first candle this past Sunday - and are already deciding what soup to make for dinner this coming Sunday.
How you do you & your family celebrate the holidays?

<3 
 

2 comments:

  1. Very cool and informative post! I am showing my husband this because he loves the advent wreath!!

    For tights, I am just now wearing them more with skirts. They keep my legs warmer than pants too! Once you start wearing them, it is hard to stop. I love the "control top" too. :)

    xoM

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so interesting. What a stunning wreath:) Have a great day, my dear
    Kisses

    ReplyDelete