Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Summer Read

As much as I love reading - often times it takes me a little while to get through a book.  Especially when I really like the book - then there always seems to be some minor crisis or distraction trying to pull me away from it.

So this summer I've been reading Eat Pray Love by Elizabeth Gilbert

Honestly - I saw the trailer for the movie before I started reading the book.  So I'm on a mission to finish the book BEFORE I see the movie.  I'm really enjoying it thus far -- I've just gotten through the "pray" section and have to say even at this point I'm envious of these travels.  Of course I have my mom's voice in the back of my head saying "If you're going to envy someone's life... you have to envy ALL of their life."  I definitely do not envy the whole situation leading up to her travels, but the travels themselves seem so intriguing & adventurous!  And while I don't think I'd find myself in India *spoiler alert* letting hundreds of mosquitoes attack me (I have a SERIOUS allergy) for the sake of bringing peace to my thoughts; I do admire the desire to go to a place where all you are expected to do is to find peace & calm & connection with God.  That I am envious of.  We'll see what "love" brings... Bali.... another place I'd love to see, I'd just be bringing all my bug repellent with me! :)

But what makes me think I can't have that kind of peaceful existence sitting in my arm chair in my front room?  Why can't I sit & commune with my Lord right there... in my own home town..?  Isn't He big enough to meet me there? Or am I living life with the notion that I'm too big/busy there for Him to even reach me?  We've just started reading Psalms in our small group - and I'm excited to see what wisdom comes from that - how God is going to move in me, how I will see Christ in these Old Testament scriptures, & how I can step aside from myself & really let God be God in my life/heart/mind/marriage/etc.  
"I will praise you, O Lord, with all my heart; I will tell of all your wonders.  I will be glad and rejoice in you; I will sing praise to your name, O Most High."  Psalm 8:1-2

Back to reading tonight...
<3

No comments:

Post a Comment