Sunday, December 11, 2011

Random thoughts...

Tonight Honey Isaac & I gave my parents their Christmas gift.  Now before you gasp in horror at the thoughts of a Christmas gift given this early, let me explain...  My mom is pretty sensitive to the fact that Isaac & I are still early in our marriage & trying our darndest to pay off debt, save for future babies, and are traveling to beautiful but expensive Hawaii in a week.  So for the 3rd Christmas in a row they haven't asked for traditional gifts.  Rather she & my dad have asked to spend time with us or do something special or specific for the season.  This year my mom spent 2 weeks on vacation in Mexico (1st time she's EVER done this) and was totally stressed about getting & decorating their tree.


So for their Christmas gift, my mom & dad asked us to pick up their Christmas tree, get it set up & then decorate it for them.  We picked up the tree the Saturday after Thanksgiving, in TRUE Christmas babe style (did I mention that my birthday is in 9 days???).  But then we waited to decorate until they were both home.  Well tonight we mosey-ed over to their house & decorated their tree.  It was fun to be with my parents again.  I'd seen my dad over the last few days - but it's always so funny and entertaining watching he & mom together.  


Sometimes I feel really guilty that that is our Christmas "gift" -- but then I remember why my mom asks for things like that & I'm grateful.  Grateful for an understanding momma, grateful that my parents don't EVER put pressure on us to wow them with material things, and grateful that I have a husband who loves being with my parents as much as they love being with him (have I ever mentioned that I sometimes wonder if they love him more than me???....hmm....).  We even had dinner together & my aunt joined.  It was a peaceful, enjoyable night.  And I'm so thankful that my parents don't make us feel like we have to shower them with un-ending amounts of gifts to show our love & appreciation for them. They're incredible blessings to us.


How do you handle gifts for parents??


And not to rub it in or anything -- but in one week I will be in beautiful, wonderful, warm, friendly, relaxing Hawaii for vacation! Can not wait -- after two weeks without my mom in the office I am beyond ready for some down time.  We'll be spending a couple days in Waikiki for my birthday & then the rest of the time with Isaac's family. Which will be nice -- we've been able to see them more than usual this year & it'll be nice to cap off the year with time in Hawaii again.  It's crazy how the time flies.  It seems like we were just in Hawaii with all of Isaac's family celebrating Christmas, digging for sand crabs & relaxing by the sea on Christmas day.  But here we find ourselves again, preparing for the anxiety of flying standy-by during the holidays & preparing to be with family.  I always tend to miss my family functions at Christmas -- but I know how much it means to be in Hawaii at Christmas for Isaac & so we go.  


Hope you preparing for Christmas in your own way also. Remember the reason for this joyous season -- the birth of our Saviour King, Christ Jesus!
<3

1 comment:

  1. that is so sweet that that was their present, i love that!

    ReplyDelete