Monday, August 30, 2010

Safety Town

After Friday I feel like I should go back to the days of safety town...  When I was growing up the local churches would always host a "safety town" exhibit where you'd take your bike and learn some rules of the road to keep you safe.

But perhaps I should back up.  I woke up Friday feeling like I just needed to go back to bed, pull the covers over my head and go back to sleep.  But none the less, I got ready & made my way in to work.  All transpired as expected, crazy clients - air head agents - the usual.  And then I ran some errands for work, get some signatures from a builder client, install a lockbox & then pick up my lunch - chicken yakisoba from the BEST teriyaki joint in town.  Finished up by making my way back to the office.  Took my normal route - and then WHAM! Rear ended a lady on 17th...going maybe 15-20mph, but boy was it enough to darn near total my car (the jury's still out...waiting to hear from insurance, cross your fingers!).  Both headlights are busted, bumpers smashed, hood bent up, air bags deployed (scariest thing I've encountered in a while...), smashed windshield, twisted frame (enough to pop up my then-closed sunroof), and a trunk not wanting to open. 
Thank you Jesus that myself nor the other lady was seriously hurt (I was mostly shaken, had a sore neck & a small cut on my finger).  My car got towed & my wonderfully amazing, & calm, mother came & got me. 

Here's the biggest lessons I'm learning from this....my family is amazing (rather than paying for a rental car, my parents are letting us borrow one of their cars until we get a new one) and calm.  My husband is so gentle, I spent the majority of Friday night beating myself up for "putting us in a position" where we have to buy a new car when that wasn't the "plan."  And he spent the rest of the time hugging me, rubbing my shoulders, giving me kisses - and calmly & gently telling me not worry, we'll get it figured out, and there's a reason it's called an accident.  Finally...in the end of it all, the stuff isn't what matters.  It's really all about the people you surround yourself with & living your life doing the right thing no matter what.

So the goal now is to find a car that sticks strictly to our budget, and will work for us in the long haul (we're Dave Ramsey nuts!) so that we steer clear from debt! 
All in all...God is good, He protects, and has surrounded me with incredibly good, kind, & loving people.

Life is good!
<3

2 comments:

  1. I am so sorry about the accident. I hope you are ok. Isn't funny, the little things big events teach us? I am glad your family and hubby are there for you.

    xo M

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Marcie -- doing pretty well actually! Could have been a lot worse. Walked away with a small cut on my hand and a slightly sore neck. They certainly do teach us a lot!

    ReplyDelete