Monday, January 14, 2013

Jet Set

Welp this past weekend we took a little jet set trip to Hawaii...yup for a 24hour period.  Crazy I know.  But sometimes it's necessary to do those crazy things for your family.

Honey Isaac's family was having a small reunion, and his dad called like every day to see if we were free to come. So we made a decision to throw caution....and frankly, logic....to the wind and woke up at the butt crack of dawn on Saturday and made our way to the airport to take a 6 hour flight to Honolulu. Despite a salty gate agent (flying standby is a delicate endeavor let me tell you) we both made the flight no problem.   Man I'll tell ya -- it was rough goings as the night got late, that 2 hour time difference was brutal.  But all in all, it was awesome - it was nutty - it was good for Honey Isaac's soul.   During 2012, we took a break from traveling to Hawaii...so I could tell how quickly it rejuvenated him.  Good food, family, spending time with our nieces & one of our nephews, visiting his grandma, and mostly just soaking in good weather (it was a balmy 24 degrees when we left Portland).  

It was so funny how the entire drive to the airport, Isaac kept saying "This is so stupid," "I can't believe we're doing this," "I can't believe we're only going for 1 day" etc.  My response...SO WHAT?! We didn't have plans.  We don't have kids to worry about.  We were responsible and asked my little brother to watch our dog.  And we had the money to pay for our tickets and snacks with no problem.  It's totally necessary to do crazy things every once in a while.  To do things that make no sense.  To keep things interesting! Plus it's fun & important for me to show Isaac how much I love him and be flexible for things like this and spur of the moment trips to Denver to see his brother & his family. 

So our little travel loving butts are headed off yet again this weekend for a wedding in San Diego.  I seriously can not wait for this trip -- it'll be my very first Samoan wedding! So fun!  Hopefully I'll have lots of fun stories to share when we get back!

4 comments:

  1. It's crazy, but so fun! I know how Hawaii rejuvenates my soul, I can only imagine how it feels for Isaac! Lucy and I were scratching our heads when we read you were near Honolulu. We said, WhAT???? Fun times. Love San Diego too, not as long of a flight!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You went to Hawaii for a day? How random and spontaneous. I envy you because most people can't and won't do that. Some times I wish my hubby and I can take off last minute to New York but doing this would cost an arm and leg for the flight.

    Since we don't have kids, we should do more spontaneous things like this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love how you are able to just up and leave! And it sounds "glamorous" in a way that you can jet set to Hawaii!! The spontaneity is nice while your responsibilities are minimal. Some people enjoy it on a regular basis, and that seems to fit for them! Others enjoy it for a time, so that if their lives change (e.g. kids) they have no regrets. Still we need to realize that there are no guarantees in Life, and God may decide to call us Home to Him - of that we have no idea this will happen, so cherish these wonderful moments!

    ReplyDelete